The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities! We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Clerk B – Billing Representative
(English and Bilingual–French)
(Up to 8 Permanent Positions on a Temporary Basis)
Water and Waste Department
Posting No: 121291
Closing Date: August 2, 2022
As the Billing Representative you will respond to customer inquiries and accept account information related to billing of utility charges within the Utility Billing Centre.
The Customer Service Division employs both English and bilingual employees. We welcome applications from both English speaking and bilingual applicants.
As the Clerk B – Billing Representative you will:
- Respond to customer inquiries and concerns in a courteous and positive manner, verbally and in writing, by:
- Determining and clarifying the nature of calls/emails and what action is required
- Resolving situations at the initial point of contact, if possible
- Explaining departmental policy and procedures in detail (including rationale)
- Searching accounts and explaining billings and adjustments
- Taking applications and cancellations for service
- Obtaining and entering meter readings into the Customer Care and Billing System and calculating consumption to determine normal usage
- Exploring reasons for higher or lower than normal water consumption
- Calculating and explaining consumption/cost difference between estimated bills and customer provided meter readings
- Arranging acceptable payment when customers are unable to pay by the billing due date
- Determining the need for meter inspections and scheduling appointments
- Initiating customer service requests through work management system
- Initiating outbound contact with customers to provide courtesy information
- Perform account research, as required.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the classification, as required.
Your education and qualifications include:
- High School graduation or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with customers in a courteous and positive manner, at times under stressful conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, by simultaneously performing functions such as active listening, navigating applications and entering detailed notes.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts, the public, and work as part of a team with colleagues and supervisors in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Standard.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately reconcile accounts and perform detailed calculations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- For bilingual positions, demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in both English and French, preferably at an intermediate level, subject to testing.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer in a Windows environment.
- Ability to navigate and input data accurately using various systems, such as CCB (billing system), Customer Interaction Centre (telephony) and WAM (work management system).
- Demonstrated ability to gather and analyze pertinent information to problem solve and exercise sound judgment when determining appropriate action while adhering to process, by-laws and legislation.
- Ability to consistently handle a minimum number of transactions per assigned interaction type, such as inbound calls, emails and outbound calls.
- Ability to learn general working knowledge of the Water and Waste Department in a reasonable period of time.
- Must have demonstrated acceptable attendance record in accordance with the Attendance Management Policy and past work performance as it relates to this position.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense.
CORE COMPETENCIES for
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume AND Application Form (Required).
- Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
*Your application documents must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of the position.*
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $1,625.13 to $1,902.80 plus shift premiums, bi-weekly, as per the Clerk B classification within the CUPE Collective Agreement.
Applicants will be required to undergo testing to determine their knowledge, skills and abilities as they relate to the qualifications of the position.
If and when this temporary appointment becomes permanent the successful applicant to this posting will automatically receive the position and a further posting is not necessary.
The successful applicant will be required to complete job specific training required for this position as directed. Employment will begin with approximately 5 weeks of paid training. You must be available Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm for the training.
Flexible work arrangements which may include flexible hours, remote work or a hybrid of remote work, may be available under Administrative Standard AS-018 – Flexible Workplace; subject to review and approval.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
We value diversity in our workplace. Indigenous peoples, women, racialized peoples, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ peoples and Newcomers are encouraged to self-declare.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.